Walsh Takes Swan Hill Double

The Queen’s Birthday long weekend saw the Super Rods travel to Swan Hill’s Sonic Speedway for two nights of action with cars contesting both Saturday and Sunday night. It was Lancefield’s Shaun Walsh behind the wheel of his brother Andrew's Penrite machine who secured the double taking the checker on both nights of action.


Night one got underway with plenty of action with Swan Hill with the cars contesting hot laps it was local driver Rob Farrer rolling his car. Lake Boga’s Duane Cordina became the second casualty of the night in the first heat after rolling heavily in the second lap. It was Neville Gange who went on to take the win ahead of Walsh and Corey Deglaitis.

The second heat of the night saw a flag to flag win for Gange who led home Walsh and Sally Woolstencroft home in third. Taking a clean sweep of the heat wins Gange was again victorious in the third heat leading home Walsh and Peter Duynhoven.


The line-up for the Graeme Crick Memorial saw Gange and Walsh making up the front row, they were followed by Woolstencroft, Steve Robertson, Duynhoven, Deglaitis, Darryl Bottams and Farrer.

It was Walsh who made the best of the starts with Gange in pursuit, from Robertson, Duynhoven and Deglaitis. In lap ten the race came to a caution when the car of Bottams spun. With the field regrouped it was still Walsh leading the way from Gange and Duynhoven. It was Walsh who went on to claim the checker ahead of Gange with Duynhoven third, they were followed by Deglaitis, Robertson, Woolstencroft and Farrer.


Sunday’s night racing saw the first heat of the night go to Paul Verhoeven securing the win ahead of a fast finishing Walsh and Gange. The second heat of the night saw Duynhoven take the win ahead of Gange and Adrian Rieck. Current Victorian Title holder Michael Coad claimed the win in the third heat of the night ahead of Walsh and Duynhoven.

The 20 lap Cordina Mechanical Repairs and 4x4 sponsored feature saw Duynhoven and Walsh making up the front row, followed by Gange and Coad, then came Rieck, Verhoeven, Jason Kavanagh, Robertson, Farrer, Deglaitis and Bottams.  Walsh made the most of the starts and led away from Gange, Rieck and Coad, in lap 15 the yellow light came on when the car of Deglaitis spun.

With five laps remaining Walsh was able to maintain his lead to claim his second feature in two days when he led home Gange, Coad, Rieck, Verhoeven and Farrer.


The Super Rod’s have now completed this season’s racing calendar and will hold their Annual Presentation dinner at Warrnambool’s RSL on Saturday 14th of July.