Comeback Cook Claims Cup

Easter Sunday night saw the Super Rods in action at Warrnambool’s Premier Speedway Sungold stadium for the running of the 32nd Super Rod Cup. It was Laang’s David Cook who greeted the checker first with Quentin Tanner second and Andrew Howard third.


Cook who last competed in the Super Rod division 16 years ago, before he took to racing Sprintcars and Wingless Sprints. Cook a former Victorian champion in the division jumped behind the wheel of the Verhoeven racing car for first time over the Easter weekend, competing at Borderline on the Saturday night before claiming his maiden Super Rod Cup.


With drivers contesting three of the four heats over the night it was Howard who drew first blood in heat one when he took a flag to flag win ahead of Cook and George Woolstencroft. Howard Stansfield took a nonstop win in the second heat leading home Tanner with Howard rounding out the top three.

In the third heat it was Darryl Nelson who took the win ahead of Adrian Rieck and Cook. The final heat of the night saw a green to checker win for Michael Coad ahead of Troy Gleeson and Ewan McKenzie.


The line-up for the 2018 Super Rod Cup saw Howard and Cook making up the front row, they were followed by Nelson, Stansfield, McKenzie, Coad, Tanner, Gleeson, Rieck, Neville Gange, Woolstencroft, Peter Gale, David Duynhoven and Amy Duynhoven. Jason Kavanagh was unable to take his position with engine issues, Tim Rankin with tail shaft issues and Alex Bath with brake problems.


With 20 laps on the board it was Cook who made the best of the starts leading away with Howard, Nelson, McKenzie and Coad hot on his heels. In the third lap the race came to a halt when the car of Coad clipped the back straight wall and rolling his car.

Cook led away from the restart with Howard, McKenzie, Nelson and Stansfield all within striking distance of the lead, in the fifth lap Cook got untidy when he hit a bump allowing Howard through and into the lead. Howard continued to lead with Cook, McKenzie and Nelson all in hot pursuit as all of the cars displayed some of the closest Super Rod racing.


In lap fourteen as the cars encountered lapped traffic both Cook and McKenzie were able to sneak past Howard into positions one and two. Cook was able to thwart all attempt by McKenzie and was able to maintain his composure to greet the chequered flag first ahead of McKenzie, Tanner and Howard, with McKenzie later relegated two positions by stewards, they were followed by Gleeson, Stansfield, Gange, Rieck, Nelson, Gale, Amy Duynhoven and David Duynhoven.


The next meeting for Super Rods will be at Heytesbury Stockfeed’s Simpson Speedway next Saturday 7th of April.