Stansfield Wins At Simpson

The Super Rods took to Heytesbury Stockfeed’s Simpson Speedway last Saturday night where it was Warrnambool’s Grant Stansfield who greeted the checker first ahead of Quentin Tanner and Andrew Howard.


In the first heat of the night it was Neville Gange who claimed the win ahead of Darryl Nelson and Alex Bath. Grant Stansfield secured a flag to flag win in the second heat driving the Verhoeven racing car when he led home Troy Gleeson and Howard Stansfield.


Rieck had an all the ways win in the third heat when he led home Howard Stansfield and Ewan McKenzie. The final heat of the night saw Howard claiming the win leading home Gange and Tanner.


The final line up saw Gange and Grant Stansfield making up the front row, they were followed by his father Howard Stansfield, Howard, Rieck, Gleeson, Tanner, Bath, McKenzie, Nelson, Peter Duynhoven, Duane Cordina, Rob Richardson, Sally Woolstencroft, David Duynhoven, Darryl Bottams and Amy Duynhoven.


It was Grant Stansfield who used the highline to his advantage and took to the lead ahead of Gange, Howard, Howard Stansfield and Gleeson. With Grant Stansfield setting the pace, the battle behind saw plenty of action, with the cars of Gange, Howard Stansfield and Howard all putting on some close racing. In the third lap racing came to a halt when the car of Gange rolled after his front end gave way.


From the restart it was the younger Stansfield who led away from his father, Howard and Bath, with Bath moving into third in the fourth lap with the race coming to a caution when the car of Bath spun in lap eight.


It was again Grant Stansfield setting the pace, while an enthralling battle was happening behind with the cars of Howard Stansfield, Howard, Tanner and McKenzie all throwing everything they had to make their way forward.

With five laps remaining McKenzie spun brining on the yellow, at this time the car of Richardson rolled. Once again it was Grant Stanfield who continued to set the pace from the restart with car of Tanner moving into second ahead of Howard and leading the pursuit of the leader.

The chequered flag in sight Tanner threw everything he had at the leader but it was Grant Stanfield who would take the win ahead of Tanner and Howard, they were followed by Howard Stansfield, Gleeson, Rieck, Nelson, Bath, Peter Duynhoven, Woolstencroft, Bottams, Amy Duynhoven and David Duynhoven.


The next meeting for Super Rods will be at Mortlake’s Mid Western Speedway for the running of the Col Grist Memorial.