Walsh Wins Super Rod Cup

The Super Rods contested night three of the Max Dumsney Motorsport Super Rod Easter trail at Warrnambool’s Premier Speedway on Easter Sunday in conjunction with the prestigious Super Rod Cup where it was Lancefield’s Shaun Walsh who secured the win ahead of Cobden’s Michael Coad and Peterborough’s Ewan McKenzie.


The first heat of the night saw Howard Stansfield claim a green to checker win when he led home Paul Verhoeven with Trevor Perry home in third. Heat two saw Coad take home the win with Walsh second and Jamie May rounding out the top three.


Neville Gange took the early lead in the third heat, with Walsh and Stansfield in hot pursuit, in lap eight Walsh was able to elevate himself into the lead continuing on to take the win from Gange and Stansfield. The final heat of the night saw Gronbeck take the early lead only for the race to come to a halt after one lap when the car of McKenzie rolled with driver ok but unable to continue. From the restart May took his opportunity to move forward taking the win ahead of Adrian Rieck and Jason Kavanagh.

A pole shuffle was contested by the top eight competitors with a series of two lap dashes taking place. In the first pairing it was Perry and Rieck, with Rieck taking the win and moving forward to challenge Verhoeven. This time it was Verhoeven who maintained his position advancing to challenge Gange. Verhoeven capitalised on his chance to move forward with Gange starting from sixth. The challenge for fourth position saw Coad secure the win, with Stansfield the victor in the next duel. May claimed the win over Stansfield in their pairing to move onto to challenge Walsh for pole position. Walsh made the best of the starts with May in hot pursuit, however at the drop of the checker it was Walsh claiming the number one position.


The line-up for the 33rd running of the Super Rod Cup saw Walsh and May making up the front row, followed by Coad, Verhoeven, Gange, Rieck, Perry, Jason Kavanagh, George Woolstencroft, Clinten Scott, Paul Singleton, Troy Hose, Jim Gronbeck, Amy Duynhoven and McKenzie. With Gleeson and Darryl Nelson sidelined with engine issues and Stansfield also an omission with ignition problems.

With twenty laps on the board it was Walsh who made the best of the starts leading away from Verhoeven, Coad and May. Walsh took charge of the race with Coad moving into second in lap four. They continued in this fashion with Walsh continuing to set the pace, from Coad, with Verhoeven and Gange locked in a fierce battle. In lap fifteen the race came to a red light stoppage when the car of May came to a smoky halt when his engine detonated.

Walsh maintained his lead from the restart from Coad, Verhoeven, Gange and McKenzie now well and truly engaged in the fray. With McKenzie accounting for Gange in lap seventeen and Verhoeven with two laps remaining.  But it was Walsh who was never headed who went on to claim his third Super Rod Cup ahead of Coad, with McKenzie moving from his 15th starting position to claim third. Next was Verhoeven, Gange, Perry, Singleton, Woolstencroft, Rieck, Gronbeck and Duynhoven.


At the presentations Walsh thanked Max Dumnsey Motorsport for their contribution over the Easter Weekend along with Avalon, Borderline and Premier for making the event happen. Walsh also thanking his brother and the car’s owner Andrew Howard along with all of his crew and sponsors.


The Super Rod’s next meeting will be on next Saturday 27th of April when they take to Hamilton’s Western Speedway.

Photo: Robert Lake Photography