Duynhoven Drives to Simpson Win

The Super Rods took to Heytesbury Stockfeed’s Simpson Speedway last Saturday night where it was Shawn Duynhoven who secured the win ahead of Leigh Podger and Darryl Nelson.


In the first heat of the night it was Neville Gange who led the pack away, Gange led for nine of the ten laps before he came upon lapped traffic which allowed the experienced Ewan McKenzie who was able to seize the lead with Nelson and Podger both also taking advantage and moving forward.

Heat two saw Michael Coad take the early lead, with Duynhoven hot on his heels, the pair duelled before Duynhoven was able to take the win ahead of Coad and Adrian Rieck.


It was Podger that was the victor in heat three after some close racing with Nelson who finished second and Rod Smith home in third.  Duynhoven took a green to checker win in the fourth heat ahead of McKenzie and Rieck.


The fifth heat of the night went the way of McKenzie taking the win ahead of Duynhoven and Neville Gange. Podger took an all the way win in the final heat leading home Coad and Troy Gleeson.


The grid for the final saw Duynhoven and McKenzie making up the front row, they were followed by Podger, Nelson, Coad, Gleeson, Smith, Rieck, Gange, Sally Woolstencroft, Amy Duynhoven and rookies to the class Leigh Humphries and Duane Cordina. Unable to make the final were Jason Kavanagh with ignition problems and Paul Verhoeven with driveline issues.


From the green it was McKenzie who made the best of the starts leading away from Nelson, Coad and Duynhoven. With Duynhoven making his way back in to second two laps later, with the battle well underway between Nelson and Podger.


In lap seven the car of Woolstencroft spun, bringing the race to a caution. With the field regrouped it was McKenzie leading away from Duynhoven and Coad, Duynhoven seized the lead the following lap while the lead three put on a fierce display of racing. In lap ten it would all come to a crashing halt for Coad and McKenzie as the pair tangled with cars both rolling over.

From the restart it was Duynhoven who led away the field ahead of Nelson, Gleeson, Podger and Gange. Duynhoven was able to establish a break from the field with Podger moving into third and into a duel with Nelson. At the fall of the checker it was Duynhoven who took a convincing win ahead of Podger, Nelson, Gange, Smith, Rieck, Cordina and Woolstencroft.


The Super Rod’s next meeting will be on Good Friday at Avalon Speedway, with drivers again in action on Sunday at Warrnambool’s Sungold Stadium Premier Speedway for the running of the Super Rod Cup.