Nelson Nails Avalon Win

The Super Rods took to Geelong’s Avalon Raceway last Saturday night where they contested the Combined Waste Services feature, it was Darryl Nelson who claimed the victory ahead of Andrew Howard and Howard Stansfield.


In the first heat of the night it was Nelson who claimed the win ahead of Neville Gange and Corey Deglaitis. With Stansfield the winner in heat two leading home Shawn Duynhoven and Ewan McKenzie.


In the third heat of the night it was Howard leading from flag to flag ahead of Deglaitis and Shaun Walsh. Duynhoven took the win in the fourth heat after chasing down runaway leader Michael Coad with two laps to go with Stansfield home in third.


The top eight completed a pole shuffle with cars contesting a series of two lap dashes. The first contenders saw Howard up against Walsh, Walsh struggled with the surface and it was Howard who moved through to the next duel.

Howard proved too strong for Coad, Gange, Deglaitis and Nelson elevating himself into third position, to take on Stansfield. In this duel it was Stansfield who prevailed taking the win and advancing to challenge Duynhoven for pole position. Duynhoven however was able to defeat Stansfield and retain the number one on the starting grid.


The line-up for the final saw Duynhoven and Stansfield taking up the front row, they were followed by Howard, Nelson, Deglaitis, Gange, Coad, Rod Smith, McKenzie, Sally Woolstencroft, Paul Singleton and Paul Verhoeven. While Damien Falkingham with fuel problems and Walsh Chassis damage were unable to take their starting positions.


At the fall of the green it was Duynhoven who made the most of the starts and led away from Stansfield, Howard and Nelson. Until a stoppage in lap two when the car of Howard rode a wheel causing the car to spin, fortunately for Howard he sustained minimal damage and was able to restart at the rear of the field.

As the race resumed Duynhoven and Stansfield were able to make a slight break from the hard charging field with Nelson, Deglaitis and McKenzie in hot pursuit. In lap eight the cars of Coad and Woolstencroft became tangled with the latter withdrawing from the race.


Once again it was Duynhoven leading the field ahead of Stansfield, Nelson and Deglaitis and Howard once again entering the fray. Having lead the race for its entirety Duynhoven looked set to claim the checker however battery failure saw him withdraw from the race with one lap remaining. At this time the wily veteran Nelson seized his opportunity to pass Stansfield and charge into the lead, while Howard was also able move into second position. At the fall of the checker it was Nelson taking the win ahead of Howard, Stansfield, Deglaitis, Gange, Smith, Singleton and Coad.


The Super Rod’s next meeting will be this Saturday 14th of January at Heytesbury Stockfeed’s Simpson Speedway.